ruxpinwrite

out of the gate

So. The idea here is a little old music lover's log. "Blog" if it gets a reader other than me; humbler ambitions for now. I thought I might appreciate later having kept a running recap throughout '08 of what tunes owned the precious real estate betwixt my temples.

Amazing music always lands in my lap every January more than any other month, arriving with full force and volume, courtesy of year-end best-of list suggestions, all the big holiday releases, and free time 'round the holidays to bit torrent my fanny off. Add to all that my propensity to do year-end rankings of my favorite tunes (then purge the whole lot from my main iPod playlist) and the result? Yours truly awash in a flood of unfamiliar music. Scary, and sheer bliss.

Lupe Fiasco, for example. New to me, as is the new album The Cool. "Little Weapon" kills. I've been listening to that damn catchy Public Enemy-esque bit of brilliance repeatedly. It's like Terminator X channeling Enigma and "The Max"-era Prince, and that's before the lyrics start sinking in. Wicked.

Some artists seep in through osmosis: songs ranked high on my year-end list yet I never got around to investigating the album from which they originated. Prepping the year-end list prompts my butt into motion. Por ejemplo: I loved the Hours' "Ali in the Jungle" in '07 (#7 on the list...they was robbed!) but never sought out the full album until now. Now I am enjoying most of Narcissus Road, especially "Murder or Suicide." I love it when a one-hit wonder blossoms into a fave (hello, Chromeo).

What else is cooking? The Presets' new single "My People." Drool, drool. I can only presume a full album is imminent.

Fink is back! Distance and Time is solid across the board, in particular "Make it Good" and "Trouble Is What You're In." I love Fink; with this album he fills some of the void left by my dear departed Morphine. Sigh.

Hot Chip's "Ready for the Floor" from Made in the Dark is quite charming and addictive. As is Funkerman's "Speed Up"...that hook, "I want you behind my bedroom doors..." is classic and catchy.

Up next? New Belle & Sebastian to devour. Stay tuned to find out if it's a meh! or a meh.

No comments: